Thursday, August 7, 2008

Rob Bell's Sex God

As promised, I just finished Mars Hill Bible Church pastor Rob Bell's second book, Sex God. As I expected, this second volume has its pros and cons; I will try to highlight examples of both.

The counter-orthodoxy which intrigued me in Velvet Elvis, disturbed me in Sex God. For example, Bell's opening chapter seems to paint heaven and hell as metaphors, or perhaps spiritual realities of some sort rather than literal locations.

Chapter two, I think, is a flop; Bell simply misses his own point. "Sexy on the Inside" (the second chapter), spends a great deal of time developing the idea that nature, people, and creation as a whole, are disconnected. Bell consistently claims that humans need to be connected back to each other, nature, and to reality (I think by reality, he means some kind of creational harmony). I agree that creation is disconnected, but I think Christ is the one who connects us to God's true reality. So, I think Bell makes a good diagnosis, but completely misses the prescription.

Also, throughout Sex God, Bell seems to intertwine Christianity and "true reality" with eastern religion-feeling spirituality. Much of this work deals with balance--sexual, spiritual, communal, etc. I found these references to be, well...scary. Further, Bell writes statements, most indirectly, which make me wonder if Bell is propagating theistic evolution (?).

WAIT! As with most of life, we cannot "throw the baby out with the bath water." Bell's second book does have redeeming qualities.

"Under the Chuppah" (chapter seven) is a very helpful chapter on the emotional and social intimacy of marriage/relationships. Bell illustrates how allowing family, friends, hobbies, work, etc. into relationships can be detrimental; keep the relationship between two people, don't air your dirty laundry, etc.

As in my comments on Velvet Elvis, I maintain that Rob Bell is more orthodox theologically than his writing paints him to be. There is no question that Bell's methods (even his vocabulary) are UNorthodox, and the paradox between how he writes and how he preaches raises serious questions.

Sex God left me craving more (much more) theological substance.

Overall, I do not think that Sex God carries nearly the impact which does Velvet Elvis. However, if one is able and willing to read attentively and discerningly (as we should read everything!), Bell's second work presents some helpful and insightful material.

But such material is few and far between.

Here you go(Sex God), may growth ensue!

2 comments:

S.B. said...

Aaron,
your second paragraph,
"The counter-orthodoxy which intrigued me in Velvet Elvis, disturbed me in Sex God. For example, Bell's opening chapter seems to paint heaven and hell as metaphors, or perhaps spiritual realities of some sort rather than literal locations,"
made me shift forward in my seat with my brows burrowed and mouth open. At that moment I realized that not only did I trust completely what you had to say - being somewhat informed by having read Bell's other works and being introduced to his savvy shananigans of theology - but that I respect deeply what you have to say, how you say it, and wish for you to make this sort of occupation a goal of yours. I look forward to the day I can put on my resume "Was the roommate of Aaron Cline Hanbury" - or even "Knew A.C.H." - and be hired. :) Seriously, God has progressed your heart and mind along with the mouth and hands with which you articulate them so much that I hope to read more very soon. And as a side note regarding your stance on his romantic advice, I always secretly admired you for the privacy and tenderness with which you handled your relationship with Kate, choosing not to say things which many other couples commonly are quick to reveal.

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

Thanks for the props, Sean, though I must say I do not deserve them. I write what I write only because of the sound teaching of my parents, professors, and the influence of friends like you.

I look forward to hearing about St. Johns--or whatever you're doing now!