Monday, January 24, 2011

Christ as Tuning Fork

I have stacks of books sitting at my apartment, weighing down my backpack and peppering my desk. Between school, work and pleasure, my reading can be a bit overwhelming. And so, I've just gotten around to Leonard Sweet's 2010 book Jesus Manifesto. While orientating myself to the book, sifting through a few red-flag assertions (more coming), I came across a worthy statement about Jesus in its introduction:

The striking of the eternal, unchanging tuning fork of heaven took place when a young virgin gave birth to God's only Son in an obscure village in first-century Israel. It stuck again on a never-forgotten Friday, with the pounding of six-inch nails. The fork struck a third time -- on the third day -- when a meek and lowly Nazarene split a tomb wide open and came forth in Resurrection life.

No comments: