Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Qur'an


I just bought a copy of the Qur'an. My particular copy is translated by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem. During the next several weeks, I will be studying the major religions in the world, with particular emphasis given to Islam. As I thumbed through my new book, I was surprised by it's organisation. I suppose I expected the book to be organized like the Bible, but instead the Qur'an is divided into 114 sections. These sections appear to be either stories or treatments of various Muslim doctrines. I will soon know for sure.

I am excited about becoming more familiar with Islam, and I hope to establish an understanding which will allow me to better serve God's Kingdom. My friend and former professor Dr. Dan Ebert (Ebertblog) spent weeks in Jordan studying Islam, and he chronicled his studies here. Please pray for me as I attempt to engage with this increasingly influential religion.

No comments: