Sunday, June 15, 2008

"The Christian Life;" I'm sick of it...the term, I mean

I very often hear people refer to the "Christian life." What is that? I have been at church and seen two people interacting: "How are you?" asks the first. "Doing well," is the reply. The first continues, "and how are you doing spiritually?"

I don't get it.

Why do we separate being a Christian from...well...living? I should not be able to tell someone that I am doing well if I am living in a broken relationship with the Father.

Further, being a Christian should completely permeate my life, every single aspect. So my "Christian life" is more properly, my life!

So no more making references to the Christian life, spiritual walk, etc. From now on let us be thoroughly Christian in every single aspect of our lives, and let everything be completely Christocentric.

7 comments:

Church as Culture said...

Aaron, Good to see you posting. Is Paul Conrad blogging this summer?

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

Paul is busy on the school's ministry team. He tells me that he is doing well, however.

S.B. said...

Good point. I've asked the question you hate many times, and I do it because today we separate physical wellness (as well mental) from spiritual. Christianity is not a way of living, then, but an interest perhaps? Either way, your peeve has influenced me to rephrase the thought. Perhaps I'll then follow "I'm doing well" with "then that means you're well spiritually?" That's still cracked, though. Doing well spiritually, so to say (which of itself fails since our relationship with God isn't of a grading matter), should be comprised of a heart bent toward serving God through prayer, meditation (silence for listening), service, and reading the Scriptures. Do you agree? This is from my thoughts.

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

I agree, Sean. We are so committed, as a culture, to separating each aspect of our lives, that the task for those of us who would shift this paradigm is seemingly insurmountable.

But it must be done; we cannot continue be fine physically, mentally, and even socially, and not "be fine" spiritually!

So, here is our task: change our vocabulary, view ourselves holistically (fully Christian), view others holistically, etc.

My God grant us the grace to do so.

Murph said...

Absolutely true! It amazing how "compartmentalized" we can become. I see this more with men, probably due to our "project-mindedness."

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

Good thought, Murph.

Thanks.