Friday, May 2, 2008

Philosophy of Life

I am excited to articulate my personal philosophy of life. However, I should note that I never want to set anything in stone, concerning my walk with Christ—which is life as a whole, for me. I desire to continually be reforming my life to the image of Christ, and not to allow my self to become stagnate or even comfortable. In essence, this is my philosophy of life: reformation of my life and transformation of my mind.

I think that theology must shape my life if I am to be faithful to Scripture’s call to Christocentricity; how I view God is fundamental to who I am and who I become. I believe that faith in God is essential for salvation, and that salvation can only take place through the atoning work of Christ crucified. My philosophy on this matter, then, is to abide in God’s grace, and to live a life of repentance and faith in Christ. I believe that in His infinite wisdom, God chose to save me by no merit of my own, whatsoever. Knowing this I must continually be humbled by my utter dependence on and in Christ, and never stop thanking and praising Him for His love and grace; thanking and praising Him with words and actions.

Seeking God to the best of my ability will greatly affect my view of ethics. Ethics, for me, is not (or should not be) about what or what not to do. Rather, ethics is the outworking of an internal relationship with God. My opinion is that if I have a healthy, growing relationship with the Father, major and minor decisions are worked out naturally though a Christ-shaped mind.

I think missions should be a primary focus in every Christian’s life. I think a common misconception of missions is that missionaries, foreign or abroad, are full time, vocational mission workers. If I give money to support missions work, I am participating in the work just as much as those who are carrying out the physical work; all of the money I earn is a gift from God, and giving part of it to furthering the Good News and discipleship only seems fitting and natural.

So I arrive at my goal—not arriving at my goal! My life philosophy is also, and more correctly, my theology: to live a life reformed, and reforming.

No comments: